In Scotland, we take pride in our traditional food. So, there’s no better start to the day than a delicious Scottish breakfast. This hearty meal will give you plenty of energy, allowing you to enjoy a range of fun activities at Eagle Brae. Here, we’ll help you make the perfect Scottish breakfast. And, you’ll find many ingredients via our online grocery service, delivered right to your log cabin.
How to make the Perfect Scottish Breakfast
What’s in a Scottish Breakfast?
So, what is in a Scottish breakfast? Ingredients vary from place to place, but the basic ingredients to a traditional Scottish breakfast include square lorne sausage, link sausages, fried egg, streaky bacon, baked beans, black pudding and/or haggis, tattie scones, fried tomatoes and mushrooms, and toast. And, don’t forget a cup of Scottish tea to wash it all down.
How to Make a Scottish Breakfast
Firstly, take two frying pans and use one for the meat and one for the non-meat ingredients. Choose between lard or sunflower oil, and start frying the lorne sausage, link sausages and black pudding. Aim for about 20 minutes in total for link sausage and ten minutes for the lorne sausage, black pudding and haggis slice. Then add the rashers of bacon, cooking for a few minutes on each side. Ensure all meat is fully cooked through. Once cooked, place in foil to keep it warm while you continue cooking the rest of the ingredients. Using the meat pan, fry the tomatoes and mushrooms for a delicious flavour, turning every few minutes until tender. Next, use the other pan to fry your eggs and cook according to personal taste. Fry the tattie scones until golden on both sides. Then pop on your toast. And there you have it! A delicious traditional Scottish breakfast to set you up for a day of walking, hiking, or cycling in the Scottish Highlands.
Tasty Hamper Treats
If you’re still feeling peckish after your delicious home-cooked breakfast, take a look in your welcome hamper. We source our produce locally, and we try and pick organic options wherever possible. Here’s what you’ll find in your Scottish Hamper when you arrive at your cosy log cabin at Eagle Brae:
- 2 Eagle Brae whisky miniatures – a blended whisky specially selected by Eagle Brae.
- 2 Black Isle beers from a local brewery where you can enjoy a tour. These organic beers are also sold at reception at Eagle Brae.
- Delicious shortbread, oatcakes and tablet made with care by Rhona Macaskill at the The Forrest Kitchen.
- Highland crackers made locally by Donna Peacock.
- 3 jars of cashmere chutney, celebration raspberry jam, and rowan jelly. These are all made by a lady in her kitchen in Strathconan, just a few glens away at Strathconan Reserves.
- Elderflower cordial made by your Eagle Brae host Pawana, who makes 80 litres per year for Eagle Brae guests.
- Indian sandal wood incense. This has been sourced personally by the Eagle Brae Team from India (where Pawana is from) and it uses pure sandal wood to create a soothing fragrance in your beautiful handcrafted log cabin.
Now you have the know-how, there’s nothing stopping you from making your very own Scottish breakfast. So why not book your stay at Eagle Brae, and enjoy a delicious breakfast within a breath-taking natural setting in the heart of Scottish Highlands.